Monday, December 27, 2004

National Treasure

I'd rate this 4/10. The problem is, I went in with expectations, since somebody from Julie's workplace had said it was particularly good, and Orson Scott Card had praised it (explaining why its box-office performance was "defying" critic's lukewarm reviews). A key quote from Card's review:



National Treasure is not only smart, but it thinks we're smart. It is made with the assumption that we can follow a storyline that actually requires us to think and remember and care about what's good and decent.



If I hadn't been prompted by this, I probably would have enjoyed the movie more; as it was, National Treasure felt to me like a Movie-of-the-Week done with an A-list cast (Nicolas Cage! John Voight!) and an infinite budget. But it's a Jerry Bruckheimer film, so it neither requires, nor rewards, any more intelligence than the average Jerry Bruckheimer film.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?