Saturday, June 12, 2004

India Garden (and India Palace)

Last night, we had to make a hurried trip to Indianapolis. But after that got settled, at least we got a chance to dine at India Garden.

Indianapolis has two excellent North Indian restaurants—India Palace and India Garden. I've eaten at India Palace several times; it's about 18 minutes away from the airport, so when I have to go to Indy to pick Thiagi up from the airport, I like to leave early and eat at India Palace and (when possible) get carry-out food for later meals for Julie and me. India Palace is my favorite Indian restaurant in Indiana, and perhaps anywhere.

My friend Simms had raved about India Garden and said it was “even better.” I had been very skeptical myself. But a while back, I had a chance to visit with my friends Martin and Laura and stay overnight with them. At the end of the visit, we all went to eat at India Garden, me for the first time. My conclusion: India Garden isn't better, but it's as good as India Palace, and different. I like India Palace's food a little better, but only a little, and I can easily understand preferring India Garden over India Palace.

Contact Info:

India Garden (downtown; there is another branch)
114 N Illinois St
Indianapolis, IN 46204
(317) 634-6060

India Palace
4213 Lafayette Rd
Indianapolis, IN 46254
(317) 298-0773

Both restaurants serve North Indian food. (South Indian food is vegetarian, and rice-heavy; North Indian food includes meat-based dishes [based on chicken or lamb, but not pork or beef] and is [wheat-based] bread-heavy.) Both have excellent entrees and desserts, and both have excellent all-you-can-eat lunch buffets for under $7/person.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?