Sunday, June 20, 2004

Hard as Nails

Dan Simmons's third Joe Kurtz novel is another hilarious, dark, and ultra-violent fast-paced read. This one is perhaps the weakest of the three; at least I found it more confusing. (This may perhaps be because Kurtz has a head wound through most of the novel, and Simmons does a good job of transmitting the viewpoint character's mental state to the reader ;-). Still, it has some really great lines, especially the opening: "On the day he was shot in the head, things were going strangely well for Joe Kurtz." As soon as I read that, I wanted to read the whole book in one setting, and resented the other book I had to read instead ;-). (ISBN 0-312-30528-1. I finished reading it on June 16, 2004 and I rate it 8 of 10.)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?